4 slices bacon
2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small head green cabbage, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp sugar
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Crumble. Set aside.
- In same skillet or cast iron pan with bacon drippings, saute shallots until clear. Add cabbage and pan fry about 15 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Stir in sugar and move to 300º oven where brisket is braising. Cook until lightly browned and tender.
- Remove cabbage from oven. Sprinkle with vinegar and bacon pieces. Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.