For the filling:
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, do not drain
2 canned chipoltes in adobo sauce, chopped, plus 1 tsp of the adobo sauce from can
2 Tbsp mole paste
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 C sliced black olives
salt and pepper
1/2 C chopped cilantro leaves
1 1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
For the Cornbread Topping:
1 C plus 2 Tbsp fine ground cornmeal
1/2 C all purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 C buttermilk
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 C corn kernels
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Add the oil and onion and saute until golden, 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the meat and cook until browned on all sides.Skim fat from pan leaving 2 tbsp fat in the pan.
- Add the green pepper, black beans, tomatoes, chipotles, adobe sauce, mole, and cumin; bring to a boil, stirring to blend.
- Stir in olives, salt, pepper, cilantro and 1 C cheese. Keep filling warm as you prepare topping.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees or adjust wood on fire to approximate temperature.
- In large bowl mix all topping ingredients well. Spread over meat mixture using a large spoon. Cover the surface and smooth.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes over indirect heat of fire or in oven until bread is set. Uncover and top with remaining cheese until melted.