7 Tbsp olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper
2 small white, 3 small Japanese or 1 medium eggplant diced (if thick skinned, peel first, approximately 3 cups diced)
4 C diced summer squash such as zucchini, yellow crookneck, pattypan (any combination)
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red or purple bell pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 C fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 fresh herbs such as basil, tarragon, thyme, rosemary (about 1 tbsp each) minced
- In a large skillet or wok heat 3 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add eggplant and saute until soft but not mushy, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer into a heavy, large pan.
- To the same skillet add 2 Tbsp oil and the summer squash. Saute over medium heat until it just begins to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large pan with the eggplant.
- To the same skillet add 2 Tbsp oil and onions and peppers. Saute over medium heat until it just begins to soften. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large pan.
- To the large pan, add the tomatoes and herbs. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Cool and refrigerate several hours or overnight.