2 1/2 C elbow macaroni, cooked
4 Tbsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 C heavy cream
1 C whole milk
1/4 C orange juice
2 1/2 C grated sage cheddar,divided (or add 1/2 tsp dried sage to white cheddar)
1 can butternut squash puree, 15 oz
3 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 C dry bread crumbs
1/4 C walnuts, chopped
12 fresh sage leaves
- In medium pan melt 2 Tbsp of the butter. Add flour and cook, stirring about a minute. Add salt and pepper and then cream and milk all at once. Cook, stirring over medium heat until slightly thickened. Stir in orange juice, 2 C cheese, squash puree, onions and brown sugar.
- Stir sauce into macaroni and pour into 9 X 13″ rectangle baking dish.
- In a bowl combine bread crumbs, walnuts and remaining 1/2 C cheese. Set aside.
- In small skillet melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Add sage leaves and saute until crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove leaves to cutting board and mince.
- Stir butter that is left in skillet into bread crumbs along with minced sage. Sprinkle over pasta and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.