6 ripe but firm pears with stems
1 C water
1 C white white or white port
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
dash of nutmeg
dark chocolate shavings
port or flavored port for serving
- Carefully peel pears with peeler or knife removing thinnest layer of peel leaving stem intact.
- Combine water, wine or white port, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg in medium pan. Simmer until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pears to pan standing upright in liquid. Cover and cook until they can be easily pierced with a toothpick.
- Cool and remove to bowl. Add liquid to bowl and leave at room temp to serve or refrigerate.
- Serve on a plate with a drizzle of port or flavored port and a sprinkling of chocolate.