2 1/2 C cake flour
1 1/3 C sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C vegetable oil
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 C Limoncello liqueur
1/4 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 C softened butter
2 lbs powdered sugar
4 Tbsp Limoncello liqueur
3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 small lemon sliced thin
- Separate eggs, reserving whites. Mix all cake ingredients, except egg whites and cream of tartar in stand mixer for 3 minutes.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Fold into cake mixture.
- Grease, flour and line bottom of 3- 9 inch cake pans with parchment circles. Fill pans with 1/3 of batter.
- Bake at 350º for about 15 minutes until just set but not browned. Cool in pans. Invert on wire racks.
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together adding Limoncello, lemon juice and zest to make a creamy consistency.
- Frost between layers stacking to form a three layer cake. Frost sides. Place in refrigerator to set. Garnish with lemon slices.