1 C sugar
1/3 C very warm water
1 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- Beat the yolks of the eggs with the sugar for 3 minutes until very thick and yellow colored. Mix in the water, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon juice until distributed.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake mixture with the lemon rind until evenly distributed.
- Spray a jellyroll pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment or waxed paper and spray again.
- Pour cake batter evenly into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Run a knife around the edges and immediately invert onto a large tea towel that has been dusted with powdered sugar onto the towel. Remove the parchment paper.
- Using the towel, roll the cake up and let cool in the towel.
- When cool unroll the cake and spread purchased lemon curd, cream cheese filling (below) or one layer of each.
- Roll up with the filling setting seam side towards the bottom. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Cut into slices with a serrated knife.
Cream Cheese Filling
1 1/2 packages of cream cheese (8 oz size)
1 1/4 C powdered sugar
2 Tbsp Cream
- Beat all ingredients together until light and fluffy. Spread over cooled cake roll.