About 1 1/2 C vegetable oil
1 lb. peeled, large raw shrimp
1/4 C cornstarch
1 egg white
1 Tbsp cajun, jerk or pepper dry seasoning
1/4 C milk (can use coconut milk if desired)
1 C sweetened coconut
1 C panko breadcrumbs
1 tsp paprika
- Heat oil in large skillet to 375º.
- Toss shrimp with cornstarch. Set aside
- Combine egg white, seasoning and milk in small bowl.
- Place coconut in a shallow dish and breadcrumbs in another shallow dish.
- Dip shrimp into milk batter, then coconut, then breadcrumbs. Drop into oil in skillet.
- Cook about 2 minutes or until pink inside and golden outside. Turn over and cook the other side until golden. Remove to paper towel lined dish to drain. Cover and keep warm.
Combine 1/4 C balsamic vinegar (peach or apricot if available) with 1/2 C apricot preserves in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until preserves melt, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and add 1/4 C coarse brown mustard, 2 Tbsp minced fresh sage and 1/4 C sliced green onion. Serve as dipping sauce with Coconut Shrimp.