Oil for frying
1 C water
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 C)
1/2 tsp salt
1 C flour
1/4 C sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon for sprinkling
- Fill large deep fry pan with oil to 2 inch depth. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Heat water, butter, and salt to full boil in saucepan. Reduce to simmer. Stir in flour while on stove. Keep stirring over low heat until the mixture forms a ball and pulls away from sides of pan. Remove from heat.
- Beat in eggs all at once with a mixer until smooth and shiny.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a very large star tip or fill a quart ziptop bag and cut off a corner of the bag.
- Squeeze about a fourth cup of the mixture in a freeform swirl into hot oil. Repeat several times in the oil . Do not crowd the pan. Turn when lightly brown on first side, about 1 1/2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towel lined plate and immediately roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or dunk in chocolate sauce.